16.3.10

Colsons Bumps

I really have been needing to blog this for almost 2 weeks, but we have been having major computer issues and I didn't have these pictures on my phone.

Colson had to have about 10 bumps frozen off his neck at the beginning of the month. We really have tried to amp Colson up about having them froze off because we were thinking it wouldn't be the most pleasant experience. However, He has shown us how tough he really is. The only time they have bothered him was the day it was done. Four hours after they put the medicine on them, we, and by we I mean I, had to take his band aids off his neck and Jeremiah had to wash the spots with soap and warm water. As soon as I started peeling off the band aids, I saw the fear in his eyes, and I lost it. It hurt him so much because the tape of the band aid was on the head of the bump, and it almost ripped it off. I think that aggravated them so much that the soap and water was excruciating. After he calmed down, he was fine, we played outside the rest of the morning, and then some more that afternoon.

I was prepared for this day to be the end of the world. I was already ready to give him some major TLC. I went and got his request he had put in at the beginning of the week, which consisted of Fruit Roll-Ups, and real Rice Krispy treats. I also made his some chocolate covered strawberries, and put together a goodie bag. I think he had one or two fruit roll-ups, 2-3 strawberries, and no rice krispy treats. He looked in his bag and said, "Nah, you can have it Dad..." and that was that.

We go back Thursday to see "Dr. Bumpits" for his follow up appointment. I'm thinking we may have to freeze another spot or 2. We will see!!

By the way, the bumps are Molluscum contagiosum. It is a relatively common viral infection of the skin that most often affects children. It results in firm bumps (papules) that are painless and usually disappear within a year without treatment. If the papules are scratched or injured, the infection can spread to surrounding skin.--Mayo Clinic.
**He had the bumps over a year, and they had spread.**



1 comment:

Tanya said...

I just found your blog from Kelly's.

Both my kids had "bumps." Our dermatologist removed them with a medicine he put on that caused them to blister and then go away.

My daughter's were on her thighs and went away with one treatment.

About a year later, my son got them all over his armpit and torso. Lots of bumps remained, so they did a second, more aggressive treatment. Oh, it was so hard to see him go through that because the second treatment really raised huge (1") blisters and was so uncomfortable. After that, I swore that if they came back we would just leave the bumps alone because that second treatment was so painful for him.

Luckily, they haven't returned so we are now "molluscum free." Just wanted to share our experience. Looking forward to browsing around your blog.